Monday, July 30, 2007

Fun at the library: Borrowing stuff.

I think I mentioned that some of the top reasons people come to the library are to borrow a pencil and to talk on the phone.
Or both.

Tonight a 40-something gentleman came up to the desk and asked if he could borrow a pen or pencil. My co-librarian rummaged around, and couldn't come up with one, so I handed over the pencil that I use for tallying ref questions.

An hour later he was back at the desk.

"I'm so sorry, could I borrow another pencil? I've lost the one I borrowed while talking with my lady friend on the phone."

(Wonder what kind of talking he was doing on the phone to his lady friend that was so interesting that it caused him to lose our pencil. Hmmm....)

What the heck. I gave him another pencil

Twenty minutes later he was back again.

"I hate to bother you again, but do you have a pencil sharpener?"

I pointed to the sharpener, but he couldn't find it, so I got up and patted the thing, with a cheery "There you go!"

Fifteen minutes to closing.

Will I get my pencil back?

Stay tuned!

(Yes he did, sheepishly, return the pencil.)

5 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

. . since this is a quiz, I'm wondering if there is a prize for the right answer.
I've tried to decide what the odds are on this. Perhaps the embarrassment was too much and he snuck out and hoped you didn't notice that he still had your pencil. Or perhaps you were waiting by the door with the pencil box collecting pencils. Hmm.
OK I guess yes, you got the pencil back. How can I be so curious about this?

Julie said...

I can't wait to find out, Jill!
smile

Demara said...

Haha *scratching my head* was he craving lead? I think next time you should give someone like that a bottle of Magnesium to stop the cravings!!! :)

Darla said...

The only thing I borrow at the library is the obvious - books, LOL!

My little branch library now has the self check out system, I rarely talk to the librarians anymore and I rather miss that.

So.. did you get the pencil back?

Darla

Lovella ♥ said...

I feel quite pleased. I know the odds were good in my favour, yet still I was right.